Sunday 21 September 2014

Week 2: My Personal Learning Environment



This week when I was going through the many examples of other Personal Learning Environments I got kind of intimidated. Most of the other examples had a million different resources that people used, many of which I had never even heard of. However as I continued to read I came across a definition that put some of my worries to ease, it was as follows; ‘A PLE is about giving you control over how you learn’ .  I started to realize that my PLE did not need to contain a ton of sites and programs to be effective, as that is not how learn. I will admit my PLE could use some updating as I have been using the same programs since first year, but at the same time they work quite well for my needs (If it’s ain't broke, don’t fix it). I know as I grow and move on to different chapters in my life my PLE will change and expand, and I am excited for that. I can already see how much it has changed since high school. 
 
Carovillano, O. (CC) 2014.

I think that my current PLE can be described as simplistic, organized and maybe a little old fashioned.  Although I use my computer to look up information, edit and comprise final copies of papers, my PLE is not as computer based.  I personally choose to learn from books when possible and find hand writing notes and rough drafts most effective. I also use an agenda to stay organized. Although I feel I tend to use more physical tools rather than digital ones I realized through creating my PLE for every old fashioned tool I use I also have a digital equivalent. For example as mentioned I love my agenda, but I also could not live without my ‘sticky notes’ feature on my PC or how I love using books but I locate them using a web based search or have to often  on sites to retrieve articles. I do however use the digital environment all the time for communication whether it is texting, emailing or getting in contact with classmates and friends through Facebook and Skype. 
Not only did my PLE help me view my learning environment differently but making a word cloud this week also showed me a new tool I may be able to add to my PLE in the future. The wordle program was very user friendly and quickly generated a word cloud using the text I input (in this case it was my first blog post). I loved how easily I was able to pick out the main themes of my post, and how it provided me with a way to visually see if all my main themes were presented clearly. 


After discussing my current PLE I think one great and completely terrifying question is:  “where do you envision yourself in 5-10 years?” because to be completely honest I have no clue. I feel like since entering my 4th year at university the most common question I get is “So Olivia, what is next?” Every time I hear this question I think my answer changes haha. With this being said there are a few things I know I want for sure such as; to attend a graduate program and begin a career.   After I made these decisions a started to research ways my PLE should grow and change to accommodate these goals. I read many articles but could not relate, I then went back to the start of this week’s session and came across a resource that said something really simple “one size does not fit all”. I guess this has been quite the theme throughout this post. I again realized that; my PLE can be as big or small as I want as long as it suits my needs, and also that there is not set way to grow your PLE, it must happen organically. As sources are needed they will be added, when you just add sources to add them you end up with more confusion than anything.
 Now don’t get me wrong I know based on my first few posts I may seem a little ‘anti-digital’ but I really am not. I am really excited to learn about all these new programs and hopefully expand my PLE I have just never been exposed to many of these programs or features. I guess I never explored these options because I was intimidated but as I learn how to use them I realize how they can enhance my learning and how simplistic they really are to use.


- Olivia :) 
Carovillano, O. (CC) 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment