Friday 3 October 2014

Weekly Report & Reflection: Post 4


         This session I choose to explore two tools, the first one was Diigo (an online bookmarking site) and the other was Google Alerts (a curation site). Both of these sites were incredibly easy to use and have really helped build the organizing content and research portions of my PLE. Prior to starting this course those two sections were pretty static, however as we progress in the course they are really growing.
          I always used the bookmark on my computer but have never really given much thought to how they could be improved, but was I ever wrong! Diigo changed the way I look at bookmarking. Two features of this tool that really have been useful in my educational activities are the highlighting tool and the fact that you can access your bookmarks from anywhere. The highlighting tool helps save so much time, I can read the article or page and highlight any important information and when I go back it is there just waiting for me, no time wasted searching again. My favourite feature though is the fact that unlike traditional bookmarking where your links are stuck on your computer, with Diigo I can always access my computer. This is so useful because there is nothing worse than trying to write at paper in the library when your laptop dies and you forget your charger (which happens to me more than I would care to admit). In this situation I could go use one of the school computers but that means time wasted looking for sites you have already researched. Now though with Diigo all I need to do is sign on and all my information is waiting for me! 

       Now for those of you who follow my blog are probably thinking, last week I talked about Feedly vs. traditional bookmarking, and now I am introducing another tool for bookmarking, who needs that many bookmarking tools? . Yes, they both bookmarking tools but Diigo is geared more toward static sites, ones that are not updated often. Where Feedly is designed for sites that are constantly updated, if you were to follow a static site on Feedly you would never receive updates as there would be none. Therefore having both can be useful and realizing whether it’s a static or dynamic site can help you decide whether you should book mark it with Diigo or subscribe on Feedly (or you can use them together  :) . For tips & tricks for getting the most out of Diigo click here   
MacMeekin, M (CC) 2013
       The second tool I explored this week was Google Alerts. Using Google Alerts along with my RSS reader has enhanced my digital literacy and role as a digital citizen. These tools allow me to stay up to date on what is going on in the digital world and filter out anything that is not of interest to me. As this course progresses I am learning that it is more than just using the internet that makes you a digital citizen. The website Digital Citizenship:Using it correctly along with the Internet Detective activity this week has shown me that there is so much more to it.  I subscribe to my Google Alerts on my RSS feed, then I filter through the information before choosing to share any information on my blog or other sources of social media. As I am learning that digital etiquette is a large part of being a good digital citizen, I have put a few steps in place before sharing anything on my blog or social media. I first make sure that one the content is reliable by using some of the tips from the Internet Detective, and if it is reliable I then make sure it is appropriate for a broad audience. 
- Olivia :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment